Friday, October 26, 2007

Nice Job, Mom...

I have never been more angry... this small, city zoo is only a couple of blocks from my house... and this story sickens my heart.


Potter Park Zoo arctic foxes may be destroyed

Potter Park Zoo’s arctic foxes may have to be killed because a boy entered their enclosure and one of them nipped his finger.

The 10-year-old boy was bitten last Saturday, zoo director Gerry Brady said.

Brady said the boy’s mother doesn’t want him to have to undergo a series of rabies shots, so the foxes may have to be killed. Autopsy is the only way to determine whether an animal carries the rabies virus.

Brady said it’s impossible to tell which of the foxes nipped the boy, but that all of the animals have been vaccinated.“They’re very healthy,” Brady said.

Dr. Dean Sienko, medical director of the Ingham County Health Department, is expected to decide this afternoon whether the foxes will live or die.

-------------

What in the hell is wrong with this mother?!?!?

First of all, HELLO... watch your child. How could this boy have that much unsupervised time to get into the "well-fenced" enclosure? It's a zoo... that's why they have the animals in cages and fenced-in areas. It's not like these wild animals broke out and attacked him.

And yes, your son got "nipped"... yet I think a few shots won't be SO traumatic for him that it justifies destroying several innocent animals.

Perhaps having this boy go through the series of shots might teach him that there are sometimes consequences when you do something wrong.

Gee, on second thought... NO, let's just put down several beautiful animals so he can go through life thinking he can do whatever he feels like without realizing the affect it has on others.

BRILLIANT child-rearing, you dingbat!

9 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

I saw an article where a young man got into a cage with some panda's in China (they were eating) ... and the panda ripped his legs to shreds.

Speaking of kids escaping from parents, I saw a 4 year old had a fatal fall into the grand canyon a week or two ago. I probably would have had my kids in harnesses hooked to me - I was so paranoid.

And at the zoo -- my goodness. What was that mother thinking. Wild animals are NEVER to be approached EVER. sad.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger GingerSnaps said...

gasp!

I was thinking the same thing...maybe the kid needs to have the shots not only to make sure he doesn't get rabies, but to teach him to stay the hell where he's supposed to be!

Just another case of kids being raised to believe it's "all about them".

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Kila said...

I hope EVERYONE survives. Too bad the foxes' mothers can't speak up like the boy's mother can!

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Karina said...

Wow, this is pretty sad. I agree with you completely that this mother needs to teach her son more responsibility for his own actions, and letting the poor foxes die so he "doesn't have to get some shots", is not only irresponsible of her, it's evil!

By the way, I wasn't sure which blog you wanted to sign up for Fun Monday so I picked this one. Let me know if I got the wrong one.

Thanks.

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That boy deserves more than some rabies shots if you ask me.

Last summer (96) we went hiking to these caves in Utah - it was a 3,000 foot climb straight up with really wicked cliff alongside the path. I had death-grip on my son. Two weeks after we were there some 6 year old child fell to her death. There were TONS of parents who were letting their children run up the path ahead of them. Scared me to death. Sometimes it pays to be over vigilent.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can't believe they would even consider putting down the foxes! She acted irresponsibly and then wants to worry about her child? No, she was neglectful the foxes should not have to pay the price.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Kaytabug said...

What a fantastic post! I couldn't have said it better! I think the shots would teach the lil brat a lesson! I have to stop or I am going to repeat everything you typed in your post!Please let us know what the verdict is. DAMN she was irresponsible and should not even be allowed to ask for a rabies test.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Retrohipster said...

WOW! Awesome post you hit the nail on the head!!!! "thanks mom for killing those cute little fuzzy animals so I didn't have to get 3 shots!!! That might hang over me for a while though, don't you think?"

There goes the fox killer boy.

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really don't get what is up with some parents these days... children are getting hurt and dying and it's like hello your the parent here.. ugh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home