Friday, October 27, 2006

Friday Flashback...

Here's another childhood memory of mine...
the beloved "Captain Kangaroo."


I watched this show faithfully. I was captivated by all the great characters and cartoons. Do you remember Mr. Green Jeans, Mr. Moose, Bunny Rabbit, The Dancing Bear, Grandfather Clock, Fred and the Magic Drawing Board?? With all these wonderful characters and stories... I was able to let my imagination run free!

There was one cartoon that will stay with me forever... and it was so simplistic. It was to get kids to brush their teeth. I can still hear the song:

Brush your teeth
Round and round
Circles small
Gums and all
A small soft toothbrush the round and round way
Will keep your gums healthy and stop tooth decay
So clean very carefully three times a day
Go round and round
Yeah
Round and round

(Sung to the "Three Blind Mice" tune.)

As a child, I can't tell you how many times that song ran through my head while I was brushing my teeth... okay, it still comes to me to this day!

There were other shows that I thoroughly enjoyed... Seasame Street, Electric Company, Zoom... but I have to say that Captain Kangaroo tops my list!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

5 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Karmyn R said...

Captain Kangaroo was my hero - and I cringed for him everytime the pingpong balls came down. I wish they would show those reruns somewhere - right after Mister Rogers.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger SongBird said...

I watched Captain Kangaroo faithfully. What memories!!

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up near Seattle. WE had Breakman Bill (he was a train guy), JP Patches (a clown) and Stan Boreson, who was just a weird guy with an accordian and two basset hounds named Mo and Slo-MO.
I remember the theme song.

Zero Dockus
Mucho Crockus
Kalimazoo Kazaaaaaaaam
Now you are a member of Kings
TV Club with Staaaaaaaaaaan.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Karmyn R said...

I just stopped by today to tell you how SORRY I am that Detroit lost.

We were rooting for them in this house too.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Sher said...

I thought that I was the only one that watched the Electric Company!!! You don't know how many people our age that I've met that have no idea what it is! What a travesty. Wasn't it awesome when Spiderman was on????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home