Monday, July 02, 2007

Sorry Folks....

Park's Closed!


The moose out front should have told ya.


I never thought that one of the funniest lines in the movie, "Vacation" would turn out to be so true!

My best friend, T and I are gearing up for our two-week camping trip out west. We are heading to Glacier National Park, Mt Rainier National Park, Olympic National Park, then we will drive down the coast of Oregon and California into the Redwood Forest. We will make our way back east via Moab, Utah and Arches National Park, then hit the Rocky Mountain National Park before heading back to the Great Lakes State.

The problem is... we are running into a bit of a snag at Mt Rainier... most of the roads and trails have been damaged by severe flooding that occurred last November. The NPS has been repairing a lot of the damage, but there are still major roads that are closed and will be until further notice.

There also are some problems with the roads in Olympic National Park due to flooding. They have many of these problems fixed, so there will only be a few areas that we will be unable to venture into.

We are still determined to see as much as we are able to... but these closures put a lot of question marks into our trip. I guess we will just take our trip day by day... and make the most of what we do get to see.


I am just preparing myself for when I get to the park gate... and unfortunely hear the words that John Candy so eloquently spoke... "Sorry Folks, Park's Closed!"

----------------------------------------------------

OPPS!! I got all caught up in my travel woes that I forgot about Fun Monday!!


Today's is being hosted by Jenni at Prairie Air. Your mission, should you choose to accept it:Share one or more of your favorite summertime memories with us. It can be a childhood memory or more recent. The memory can be a vague conglomeration of how you spent summers past (catching fireflies, playing outside till dark, watermelon seed wars) or it can be a detailed memory of a specific event. You may write a poem or short story or just tell it like it was. The main idea is to communicate the essence of summer and what symbolizes the season in words and/or pictures.

Well... I'll keep this short and simple. Some of my fondest summertime memories are fishing with my grandpa. My grandparents lived on a small lake in northern Michigan for many of my childhood years. There isn't any amazing story to tell... it was just having that undivided attention... sitting on the dock with him. Watching his hands bait the hook... I loved his hands. Then we would walk back up to the house through the woods... nibbling on any wintergreen berries we could find. Great memories...

13 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger Molly said...

That is a nice memory; northern Michigan is a lovely place. You can eat wintergreen berries? Did you have any thimbleberries?

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger MommaBoo said...

I remember how BIG my "PawPaw" looked when I was little. They're normal folks, too. They always seem larger than life when we're little, you know?

Thank you for sharing such a sweet memory.

Good Luck! Maybe John Candy won't spoil your fun!

Happy FunMonday!

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

mjd... the way my grandfather taught me about picking the correct wintergreen berries to eat was to turn them over and if there was a star shape on the bottom... you could eat those. I'm not sure if there were thimbleberries up here.

jennieboo... I'm glad to hear that your "PawPaw" seemed larger than life to you too!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Beccy said...

Short and simple maybe but lovely memories all the same.

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE the Olympic mountains. They are one of my favorite ranges.

Check out Hurricane Ridge outside of Port Angeles. I don't know if you are going to get that far - but it is a beautiful place - on top of the world. On a clear day you can see Canada and more.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Amy W said...

I too have fond memories of my grandparents...

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Aww, this reminds my of my granddad's big strong hands. He was a farmer and used to let me ride the tractor (to plow the fields) with him. Reading all these posts is bringing up even more memories I didn't include!

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Jenni said...

Short, simple, and sweet. Danny has special memories of fishing with his great grandpa. They used to spend most of the summer together when he was a kid.

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have wonderful memories of fishing with my grandpa and with my dad.

Have fun on your trip! I think the best vacations are those with a few (pleasant) surprises!!

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

you had a grandpa. What a fantastic and wonderful thing. Mine were long gone before I was even a twinkle.

My hubby had a pair (grandparents) when we married.. and they were dear. Pops hugged me and I knew that I belonged.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Kaytabug said...

Oh what a sweet memory. When I hear the song Daddy's Hands I dont think of my Dad I think of my Grandpas, both the farmer and the Marine, hands!
Have a beautiful safe trip!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Robinella said...

OMG, I love road trips. I hope you'll post pics of your adventures. I loved living in WA and seeing the sites you'll see there. The rest of those parks on on our to-do list when the boys get a little taller. Have a great time!

Beautiful post about your Grandpa. I don't have memories of my grandparents. Not the fishing or baking cookies type, unfortunately.

 
At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a sweet memory to have!!

sounds like your trip is going to be awesome.. you are going to take pics right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home