Monday, January 29, 2007

Ann With An "E"


In 1985, PBS brought one of my favorite stories to life. The cast was chosen beautifully to portray the amazing characters... Megan Follows as Anne Shirley, Colleen Dewhurst as Marilla Cuthbert, Richard Farnsworth as Matthew Cuthbert and Jonathan Crombie as Gilbert Blythe.


Here's the synopsis....


At the turn of the century on Prince Edward Island, Matthew Cuthbert and his sister Marilla decide to take on an orphan boy as help for their farm. But they get an unexpected jolt when they're mistakenly sent a girl instead: Anne Shirley. As Anne falls into a series of scrapes (and off a roof), makes a bosom friend in Diana, searches (and finds) several kindred spirits, completely ignores Gilbert Blythe who is hopelessly in love with her, Matthew and Marilla discover that their lives have become a great deal richer, now that Anne is at Green Gables.


As the years pass, Anne becomes a schoolteacher. She acts as Diana's maid of honor, and refuses Gilbert Blythe's marriage proposal; which sends her to teach at Kingsport Ladies' College, an exclusive girls school, where she meets much opposition. But while Anne enjoys the battle, and the friends she makes, she eventually returns to Green Gables.


----------------------------------


It's great family entertainment and such a heart-warming story! I just purchased the DVD's of Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Green Gables, The Sequel. If you haven't seen these movies yet, I highly recommend it!

3 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE this series!!! It is a great show. I had never read the books until after I watched the special. I am a huge fan. (when she declines Gilbert, I cry everytime)

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

I guess I'm going to have to read these books and/or the series again.

So much to do ... so little time.
Lets win the lotto so we can do all this fun stuff

 
At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was given Anne of Green Gables as my first book. Well, real book.. with few pictures and lots of words.

I had it for a couple of years before I was able to read it. It was the first book in a lifelong love affair of reading.

The movies were fantastic too. Good memories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home