Monday, November 13, 2006

Only The Shadow Knows...

Okay… so I don’t live in the best neighborhood. Yes, that’s right… I live on the wrong side of the tracks! I love my house, and the fact that I can be to work in three minutes… but there are moments when my safety is questioned.

Let’s take the other night, for example. I was jostled out of peaceful slumber by a pounding noise off in the distance. I looked at the clock… it’s 1:45 am. Because of the neighborhood I live in… I think nothing of it and try to go back to sleep. But over the next hour… I hear intermittent pounding and the neighbor’s dog starting to bark like crazy. Then at approximately 2:50am… the pounding is hitting a little too close to home. It’s right outside my bedroom window!

So being the not-so-brave sole that I am… I peek ever-so-slightly through the blinds. That’s when I see the shadow! There is a person that has either a broom handle or stick and is whacking at the electrical box on the vacant house next door. Well... I get on the phone and dial 911… within minutes it is like an episode of COPS (bad boys, bad boys) outside my window… lots of yelling and tackling going on. They catch this creep who says that he is renovating the house… at 3 AM???... and breaking out the windows on the back door??? Renovating… good answer, a-hole!

So by the time the police take care of him… come over and have a chit-chat with me… well, it’s about 4 am. I try to get a little more shut eye before I have to start the day… but to tell you the truth, I don’t sleep another wink after all the excitement.

I am seriously thinking about the whole “getting a dog” situation… or perhaps a good alarm system.

Oh, the joys of living in the "hood"!

3 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Claudia said...

God, that reminds me when I was leaving Balti...I had gone out with a friend/neighbor. We both went to our respective houses and in 10 minutes, he's knocking on my door, asking if I know the guy with him. Some random black guy was loitering in the alley beside my house (which was gated and supposedly locked. We asked what he was doing there and he gave us some lame-ass excuse too.."oh it's the wrong house. I'm doing business and I have to pick up some equipment." We should have called the cops on his ass but he would have been gone before they arrived.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

that is scary. Too scary.

Maybe you should get yourself a stun gun.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Karmyn R said...

YIKES! - a dog would be great, except then you'd have to hear BOTH banging and barking.

Very scary!!!! I hope you have strong locks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home