Friday, June 20, 2008

Round and Round We Go...

I am at that point again... 

To get a puppy. Or not to get a puppy. 

That seems to be the question.

On one hand... I feel this is a good time in my life to get one. I live close to where I work, so I could go home during my lunch hour to help the housebreaking process and spend time with the puppy. I am much more responsible than I was when I had my first dog... and would do the proper things to ensure that the puppy would be well socialized and get the one-on-one time it deserves. (Not that my first dog wasn't socialized... but I was flying by the seat of my pants on how to properly raise him.) And quite frankly, the daily walks would do me just as good as the puppy!

On the other hand... I don't have a great yard for a dog. So do I try to fence what little yard I have or add a run line?? Of course, my dog wouldn't spend a lot of time outside... I want an inside dog. Yet with Michigan winters, how long do I want to be out in the blowing snow waiting for the dog to do it's "doody"!! Then there is my cat, Lilly. There is the underlying fear that she won't care to have a slobbery mutt hanging around HER house! Can I get them to live happily together? Another fact is that if and when I do take a trip... who will watch my pets? It's easier to pass off a single animal onto someone rather than a whole brood of creatures.

So there you have it... the never-ending merry-go-round of whether I should get a puppy or not.

Any thoughts??

5 Comments:

At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cat and Jasper got along pretty well and Africa was nine years old when Jasper joined the family. She would wrestle around with Jasper and when she got tired of playing with him, she would either get somewhere beyond his reach or slap him. I've been a cat person my whole life, but I have to admit, Jasper is one precious pup! I live out in the sticks and well off the road so I don't have to worry with a fenced-in yard which is nice. I always take Jasper to the "doggie motel" when I go on trips. I am fortunate to have such a nice kennel to board him at.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Hazel said...

If you get a "pound puppy" it will be eternally grateful to you forever and ever (I'm not kidding...somehow they know they've been saved. That kind of makes it all worth the the trouble, and, yes, there is always something.

Kitty will turn up her nose & quickly show him who is boss but it will work out.

Good Luck!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

yes... a pound puppy (one that weighs a pound, too) hee hee

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger willowtree said...

GET...THE...PUPPY!!

I was going to say that a small yard is ok as long as you get an inside dog, but you beat me to it.

Getting dogs from the pound is the way to go, but if it's a puppy, it won't be any more grateful for being rescued than if you got one from a breeder, as it won't even know it was in trouble in the first place.

Getting a young adult from the pound is a good idea for several reasons
1) if it's a mixed breed you'll know what size it will end up, and what it will look like,
2) there's a good chance it will be house trained, and if not it should be quicker to accomplish than with a puppy
3) you'll have a better idea of the temperament
4) it actually will appreciate being rescued.

Good luck.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger willowtree said...

PS. The cat could go either way, but it's more likely to accept a puppy. On the other hand, an adult dog will give the cat a wide berth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home