Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The Puppy That Never Was...

This past week has been a very trying time for me. I went and got this beautiful little puppy from a breeder... it was purely love at first sight. I named him Graham... and he was all about love and puppy kisses.
Later that afternoon, he began to get lethargic... his little stomach was
growling, but he refused to eat. So with the holiday weekend fast approaching... I thought I had better get
Graham to the vet.

Only 6 hours after falling in love with this little boy... I found out that he had the parvo virus. It would cost anywhere from $1,400-$2,500 to treat him. And as much as I had fallen in love with him... I knew that I could not afford the vet bills. So I had to contact the breeder and arrange for Graham to go back.

After his three-day hospital stay, Graham recovered from this nasty virus... and I was blessed to keep him at my house for a few more days until the breeder could settle the vet bills and come pick him up. And although it ultimately was my choice to give him back... today, I said goodbye to this little one... and my heart hurts.

This whole experience has left me disillusioned and wondering if I really want a puppy. Do I have the time, energy and MONEY to give to a puppy? For now... I am finished with the idea of having a little one romping around.

But these last few days have been filled with sweet puppy breath... and I will forever love my little Graham.

5 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Blogger GingerSnaps said...

Oh, Jodi, I am so sorry that you had to go through such a harrowing experience. I don't blame you for wondering if you want to go through this again.

*hugs*

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh bummer. I'm glad he recovered but sad to hear he had to get sick in the first place.

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

you need to get your yard disinfected before you get another one.. .now that you've had parvo.

Darn I'm so sorry this happened.
I'm happy that he got treated and survived, however.

 
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how awful! And what a precious puppy.

 
At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. Glad he recovered. I hope he's getting hugs and kisses right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home