Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Roll With It, Baby....


Hello, my name is Jodi... and I'm an addict.
Addicted to sushi.

My first encounter with my "drug of choice" was when I first moved to Nashville in 1989. A group of my co-workers gently introduced me to the world of sushi. I started off with california rolls, tuna, and just a smidgin' of wasabi. I was hooked!

Now 17 years later... I am a sushi junkie. I love it all!! My favorites are tuna (still), octopus, eel, salmon, smelt roe, shrimp, and just about any type of roll that they can make... and now, my dish of soy sauce is the color of mud because of the heap of wasabi that is mixed in!

When I moved back to Michigan in 1996, I frequented a local sushi restaurant. I went there so often that I started to feel like Norm from Cheers when I would walk in... all the sushi chefs, hostess, and waitresses would all turn and say hello. A bit embarrassing... but I was there for one thing, and one thing only... to get my fix!

Of course, I didn't want to go down this seedy path of chopsticks, rice, and seaweed alone... so I would try to persuade my friends, family members, and co-workers to follow me into the world of my addiction. Some would run and save themselves, but the majority have sadly become regular "users".

Perhaps I will choose to get help someday. But until then... I will continue the out-of-control spiral into my sushi hell.

AND LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!

2 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger Karmyn R said...

Oh boy - you would get along great with my husband. He can't get enough. I like some of it - I'm not too hip on eating the completely RAW fish...its the biologist in me. I can't get past the whole "might be bacteria" thing.

But - I love all the rolls and anything with smoked fish. I spent a summer in Japan and ate a lot of different sushis....some were really great, others made me think I was eating the Puget Sound.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Hey karmyn r...

I would love to go to Japan and experience the sushi there... of course, I would have to draw the line at blowfish. As much as I love sushi, I don't want to risk my life for it!!

And yes, there are a few types of sushi that leave quite a nasty taste in your mouth. Not that I have tried the Puget Sound... but I can imagine the similarities!!

When and where in Japan were you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home