Thursday, April 09, 2009

Ice Waves...

I was fortunate enough to grow up on Houghton Lake, the largest inland lake in Michigan... taking approximately 33 miles to drive around it!

I remember as a kid... in the spring, I would get into the car with my parents and we would drive around the lake to view the ice damage on the shoreline.  What that meant was checking out the piles of ice that broke from the lake, seeing how high the "ice waves" were... how close they were to the lakeside homes... and assess the damage to the homes that the ice overtook!

I thought I'd share some photos from the local paper to show you the progress of this year's ice. It was noted that some of the ice piles are 20 foot high.



2 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Karmyn R said...

I've never heard of that before - Those ice waves are really cool looking. (and I didn't mean the pun)

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

new to me, too. was it a good year or a bad year?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home